Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Cursing the need for sleep

I haven’t felt this way for awhile. It has probably been since before I had kids that I was so excited about reading all the books that are currently surrounding my bed. I like to read. I do it regularly and I get excited about a certain book quite a bit but right now the urge to just sit for extended hours, undisturbed reading book after book or even just one book cover to cover in one sitting, can not be squelched.
The books nag at me all day. Calling to me to come and read them. I have avoided taking one to work with me because I know I would be stealing glances at it all day, eluding my actual work. When I get home, I head straight for the books. I open one up and bring it through the house with me. Catching paragraphs between playing with my children, cooking dinner, conversation with Eric: all the things that come between arriving home and going to bed.
Finally when I snuggle in bed, with time to myself, I give the book my full attention. I read and read and read, confident that I will be finishing the last page just as the sun rises and my household awakes for the day, only to wake at 1:00 AM to discover that I read a mere 10 pages before falling asleep. CURSES! And though my desire is to pick up where I left off and keep reading I cave to my responsible adult self, turning off the light to sleep and merely dream of reading.

Books surrounding my bed:
Surviving Nashville - Stacy Barton
The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay - Michael Chabon
Water for Elephants - Sara Gruen
The Death of Adam - Marilynne Robinson
So Brave, Young, and Handsome - Leif Enger
The Reason for God - Timothy Keller
Abide With Me - Elizabeth Strout
On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness - Andrew Petersen
Prayer Does it Make a Difference - Philip Yancy
Dandelion Wine - Ray Bradbury
Summerland - Michael Chabon
Complete Stories - Flannery O'Connor
Sex God - Rob Bell

And Two I hope to get this summer and add to the collection:
The God Factor - Cathleen Falsani
Kingdom of Ordinary Time - Marie Howe


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! So many books surrounding you. You'll never catch up, you know. In fact, they will gradually enclose you totally and your family will never see you again. What a fate! Glad you love to read. Great fun!

Father Rodg

Rebecca said...

What's this? What's this? A new book by Marilynne Robinson? You've been holding out on me!!

(I know. I know. I, too, have access to the information that Robinson has a new book. But still....)

Post a Comment