Friday, May 09, 2008

The small things

7:45 AM Friday - Eric called to see if I was going to make it Mother's Day Lunch at Preschool today. Of course I had completely forgotten about this. The last time I thought about it was over a month ago when it was mentioned in a note home. I only get a 1/2 hour for lunch and there was just no way I was going to be able to swing this for Jack without having pre arranged it. Thankfully Eric is at school and he is going to try and fill in as Jack's mom for part of the time.
7:45 PM Thursday - Last night the kids had a Spring program. The both did great. After the program we went to the bookfair and bought several books. The library is small, so the kids and I waited outside in the hallway while Eric paid. The line was long and so after awhile we all wandered back into the bookfair. The kids went and stood by Eric and I hung out near the door. I noticed a jar full of cars. It said " Guess how many cars have traveled this road"? I did not know what road but I looked around for entry forms and found them on a ledge across from the cars. I had nothing to do so I made a guess. I counted a row. Seemed like 10. I counted up. 8 rows. I guessed 96. I went to write my name and realized it was for students only. Of course that made sense. Why would random parents get to guess? So I wrote Jack's name down and then butchered his teacher's name on the form and placed it in the pile. I then filled out a second form for Olivia - 113 and a final form for Eric - 156.. I am usually way off on these things so I went big for Eric. While I was hanging out by the door Olivia's friend George came up with his Grandma and she had him guess as well. George is very quiet. Olivia often talks about George and she says her favorite thing about him is that he is quiet. (yay I thought the same thing). George guessed 99 and I told him I thought that was a great guess. I then chatted a little with his grandmother.
8:45 AM Friday Eric called. Is someone throwing up? I asked. This is usually why he calls.
No, he said, you are really going to laugh at what I have to tell you.
Great!
They just announced over the loud speaker that the winner of the car guessing contest was Jack Rice!
Oh my word! I laughed - That is great.
I then told Eric how I had filled out forms for both kids and him.
Does he win all the cars? I asked
I don't know. Is that what it said?
It didn't say what you win. Maybe it is just fame that you win.
I am sure he won something.
Well I guess this makes up for not being at the Mother's day lunch I thought and then I felt bad for George. He was so close. Was it wrong for me to guess for Jack? Maybe it was. I don't think Jack even knows the number 96. Will George even care? Ugh. See.. Welcome to my life. If he does win the cars in the jar we are totally giving some to George.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

That is HILARIOUS!

Anonymous said...

Of course Jack knows 96. Well, if they are 96 Leggo sets or Batman shirts or . . . . Of course. Way to go, Jack (and Mommy)!

Grandpa & Grandma R

Post a Comment