Olivia wakes up excited about her field trip to Duke Gardens.
-We are going to have a scavenger hunt!
-That is so cool honey.
-I hope I get to ride in Amanda’s car.
Ah yes I think to myself the Land Rover with the flip down DVD screen, nice choice.
-Or Shayna because she is my best friend. I can’t wait to pack my lunch!
-I am sorry honey that I can not drive for your field trip.
-Its ok, maybe you can come next week when we bowl!
She is too excited to eat her breakfast so she gets dressed. She carefully chooses each part of her outfit for this excursion.
A long sleeved top with sparkly gems attached that is the perfect shade of pink.
Pink leggings in a slightly different shade from the shirt.
A pink patchwork skirt that is long and flowing. (It used to be so long it went down to her ankles but now it only reaches down to mid calf… at best.)
A Blue denim hat with a bright pink and green watermelon with black seeds appliquéd to the front and sized for a toddler that she pulls down on her head for a tight fit.
A necklace made of twine and a dozen or so multicolored beads - very earthy looking.
A bracelet which Conner, or was it Walker, gave to everyone in the class.
Her glittery purple Winx sunglasses
White ankle length socks
Orange Crocs
She is now ready for the field trip, ready to conquer the world.
Jack wakes up unexcited about going to school.
He climbs back into bed several times.
He climbs slowly down the ladder from his bunk, not sad but not happy.
He eats his breakfast quietly while his sister flutters about.
As I pack a lunch for Olivia he requests one as well. I agree to make him one but remind him that he can not have peanut butter because Henly is allergic to nuts. He mopes and so we strike a deal that he can have peanut butter but he will have to leave his lunch in the car and eat it after school.
He dresses quickly and then returns to the kitchen where he pulls out paper and markers to make something for his teacher. It is time to leave, so Eric gently reminds him that Ms. White will not be at school today but will be back on Monday so he has the whole weekend to finish his project. He replys with a feeble ok and slumps from the table. As Eric opens the door to leave, Jack, with a sudden burst of energy, rushes back to his room and to his red toy box. He pulls out his big Lighting McQueen car, a black and white dinosaur that can bite if you push the button on his back (a happy meal toy), a small R2D2 and a rock. He pulls all the toys toward him and tightly grasps them to his chest.
As he moves toward the door he starts to drop toys like bread crumbs on a path. He shakes L. McQueen. The engine revs and I hear – Sped? I was made for Sped!, followed by acceleration. Jack laughs and places McQueen on the kitchen table. As he reaches the door he growls and pushes the button on the dinosaur to make him bite. Again a laugh as he drops the happy meal toy to the porch floor. Outside I hear a thump as he temporary disposes of the rock, putting it in a place where he can retrieve it after school. And then he races to the car with R2D2 clutched in his hand, off to fight the dark side and conquer the world.
2 comments:
Jack's got a neat way to make a decision as to what toy to take to school. He's real ingenious. Whatever is left, he takes. We all need to learn from children, including how to dress fashionably from O. Hope you got a pic of her dress for the excursion. That would be a fabulous photo.
Father R and Mother R
once again Beth you have made my day. Thanks. Renae
Post a Comment