I was busy uploading pictures while Eric and the kids watched Return of the Jedi when Jack asked – Why did Darth Vader do that?
I glanced up just in time to see the Emperor fall a very long distance after Vader flung him over the side of some railing.
Well Jack the Emperor is bad and that is why he did it.
Olivia objected – That is not the reason. The reason is that Darth Vader still has some good buried deep inside him and that goodness could not let the Emperor kill his son and that is why.
Touché
Have I mentioned before that she cried the first time she saw Darth Vader die? And that she can hardly watch The Empire Strikes Back because they carbon freeze Hans Solo? A caring soul has she.
Currently our bed time story book is Wind in the Willows. I had never read this book before reading it with my children. Wow what a lot of vocabulary words. I wonder at times if the kids even understand the progression of the story with all of the new words. But I keep reading it because I think of Marilyn Robinson and how she says we should not dumb things down. We should have faith that they will understand. And so I read on, laughing at the many adventures of Mole, Rat, Toad, Badger and their other animal friends. At one point Toad is put in a dungeon for stealing a car and suddenly the story turns to Rat and Mole searching for a young otter. Olivia was concerned for days about Toad. What about Toad she would ask. They can’t leave him in the dungeon. He must get out? She has formed a bond with naughty Toad. She does understand. And Jack chirps up – Don’t worry Livia he will get out.
This morning Olivia said to me -Today and then one more day until Grandma and Grandpa arrive.
Oh did they say they would definitely be here on Thursday to you on the phone?
Yes but Momma I wonder…
Yes? What?
Who will watch them when we are in school on Friday?
Hmmm? I don’t know. Do you think we should trust them to be alone in the house?
She laughs – Yes!
But I know she is concerned with when will she get to see them on that day so I suggest –
Maybe they will pick you up from school on Friday?
Yes -she replies hugging herself with delight – that would be GREAT!
3 comments:
Olivia,
Don't worry, dear! Grandpa and Grandma will be there Friday to pick you up from school, DV. And we think that will be the GREATEST!
Love,
Grandpa and Grandma
I love these kinds of posts.
I just read this post, but, wow. I would be glad to watch :-) Grandma and Grandpa on Friday. Please let Oliva, and them, know.
Love to all-- Carolyn
Post a Comment