Me: The check was mailed to you last Tuesday.
Him: But I don’t have it. Do you know where it is?
Me: I am sorry but we send out hundreds of checks and we do not track them but if your check is still not received after ten business days we can do a stop payment and reissue.
Him: But I don’t have it yet. It has been a week. And I really can not believe that the postal system could be that slow especially in a city as large as NY.
Me: Well sir, I am sorry but we have had instances where it has taken up to 2 weeks before someone has received their check through the mail system.
Him: a long detailed account of why he thinks I am lying base largely on the reputation of the postal system always being timely. When I don’t immediately respond he repeats himself twice. I am hoping he will just eventually run out but he does not.
So I get to repeat myself about the 10 business days/ stop payment /reissue.
He starts again about how I am lying and the post office is always on time. (now don’t get me wrong, I think the amount of mail the postal system processes and delivers each day in a timely matter is amazing but with such high volume things slip through. Especially checks that look like they maybe junk mail even though the are stamped first class)
Finally I say – I am sorry you do not have your check yet and sir you can argue all day about how you should have your check now but the facts are that you don’t and until it has been 10 business days all we can do is wait.
Now I figure this would anger him slightly but I knew it would also get him off the phone. What I was not prepare for was that he was upset that I used the word argue.
Him: I AM NOT ARGUING! I am very patiently and pleasantly stating my point and I do not appreciate you using words such as argue when describing me. And with that he hung up.
Last night we had digital cable installed. Why because we are trying to be a family when we watch football on Sundays but with everyone in the room we get horrible reception. And since the cable company was running a special we will have hundreds of channels and a dvr for the next six months. And then we will have to break our addiction and go back to bad reception. Or if you are Eric we will have bought a new HD widescreen TV to further enjoy our new crisp digital picture…. Anyhow, we received a confirmation that our cable would be installed on Tuesday from 5:00 PM to 8:00 PM. I forgot this on Tuesday when I arrived to pick up the kids so Eric and I made plans to take the kids to the Varsity Soccer game at 4:00 PM. Eric had to run a friend home after school and so the kids and I met him at school around 4:45 PM. (it was suppose to be 4:30 but things happen) During this time I suddenly remembered that the cable guy would be showing up and although I doubted he would arrive at 5:00 PM I also knew that if I was not there waiting for him then he surely would show up at 5:00 and we would have to wait another week for our cable. Fast forward to 9:45 PM when we finally get a call from the person installing our cable informing us that he ran into a problem at his current installation but was it ok if he still came over? YES! Dumdeedumdeedum… deedum 10:30 He finally arrives. There is a small glitch where apparently our indoor connection was unscrewed but that was easily fixed and TA DA welcome to digital cable. The cable company then calls and informs him that digital cable will go down in 45 minutes for a short period of time. Nothing like getting a new toy and not getting to use it because it was not 45 minutes later but pretty much the instant he walked out the door.
Jack’s preschool class is studying a unit on Space. The teacher was amazed at how instantly attentive Jack was. When I went to pick him up from school yesterday he was out on the playground and he grabbed my hand and pulled me into his room so he could show me the rockets his teacher had brought and the book his teacher had read. He went through the book page by page commenting on the story. And then in a move that shocked everyone in the preschool wing… Jack showed me the craft he completed. (Jack rarely participates in the crafts at school and when he does… you can tell he was coerced) And so Jack walked happily through the hallways clutching his water bottle space project and holding my hand.
Go Dogs Go. A book by Eastman. Known and loved by our children for years. Olivia has a pink poodle and pink boa to accompany this book.
Hello
Hello
Do you like my hat?
No I do not!
Goodbye
Goodbye!
And last night Olivia read it all by herself. Each and every word. Go Olivia Go.
6 comments:
Hey Beth,
Welcome to the world of cable! I predict that you will love your digital cable so much that you will not be able to part with it! Especially if you have the DVR feature too. Since the kids are Go Dog Go fans they should defintely check out Big Dog Little Dog too. Also a classic.
We are big fans of Go Dog Go at our house (but Drew doesn't have a boa to go with it). It's a really long book for Olivia to read on her own--tell her YAY from us. :)
Oh, and who wouldn't want to make a water bottle space craft?
Whoo-hoo! I just love this post!! Thanks for the blitz. Every bit of it is great.
I'm sorry you have to work with moronic customers.
I'm delighted that you have digital cable and don't know how you'll live without it.
Jack is the most adorable water bottle space craft boy EVER.
Yay Olivia!!!!!
Hey Beth. In honor of your new digital cable, T and I would like to recommend a new show that just started. It is called Jericho on CBS, Wed, at 8. If your new cable is comcast you should be able to watch the first 3 episodes on demand. Definitely worth watching.
Jill
Hey Beth, just wanted to thank you for reminding me about "Go, Dog, Go", a book we've had for ages but that I had not yet read to Gwen. I got it out after reading this post a week or so ago, and she loves it. She is facinated by the dog party on top of the tree, esp. the dog who is seemingly stuck down in the branches and is being pulled up by another dog. She also laughs at the funny voice I use for the dog who's hats keep being rejected. Thanks for the reminder about some classic Suess!
Did the check ever arrive? We're in suspense (until you give the ending, which will just have to be funny).
Father & Mother R
Post a Comment