Wednesday, March 15, 2006

which way to the sauna?

In the recent past, Wednesdays were not a good day at our house. For some reason, our family transitions slowly to change. Or maybe it is just that we are all resistant to becoming “Morning People”. So by mid week we are all grouchy from lack of sleep and we are all annoyed that the schedule is not going the way we personally want it to be going. I want Jack to wake up with a smile on his face and to be eager to leave his bed and go to the breakfast table. Jack wants to wake up with a smile and then burrow further under his covers. Eric would like for Olivia to hear her alarm and jump out of bed and get dressed. Olivia would like it to be acceptable that she acts and moves like a cat in the morning, stretching and yawning as she goes and often just snuggling up on the floor next to her clothes for a little wake up nap.
But we are adjusting and the routine is in place and we try not to snap at one another. And implementing Wednesday spa day has helped immensely. Wednesday spa day is our recoup day. It is our day to just relax and not be doing something. It means that when the children and I get home from school on Wednesday, they are allowed to sit in the living room and watch TV for two – YES TWO – hours straight. And I get to sit in another room, just out of sight and read or work on a project or just REST! Scandalous I know. And how do I justify this in my mind? Easy, Wednesday is also Shepherding group night which means that we will eat dinner at church and then our kids will run around for two hours with kids their own age while Eric and I will be involved in adult conversation without someone interrupting to ask for a snack or a tissue or a lightsaber.

No comments:

Post a Comment