I love the blessing at the end of each church service. (no, not because it signals the end of the service.) I like how the minister raises his hands towards the congregation and speaks the words of the benediction.
May the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God the Father and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
I like standing with my head bowed waiting for the blessing to touch my head through the minister’s outstretched arm. I wonder at the people who don’t bow their head. I mean it’s not a rule. You don’t have to bow your head but I want to say to them – just do it because it makes it better – really it does. You can feel the words if you listen really carefully with your head bowed. The words travel out through his hands and land sweetly on your head and then they soak into your body and give you hope and strength. Perhaps it works the same way if you don’t bow your head but I am too worried to try it. I think instead that it would feel like a sudden jolt to the forehead. Like a misplaced blow. Something shocking: but then it is shocking, isn’t it - God giving me grace, love and fellowship? Not shocking because of the giver but shocking because of the undeserving receiver. Maybe that is why I bow my head, because the blessing reminds me that it is not about me but about God. His blessing is so that I can go out and bless others and bring glory to Him. And at that moment when the blessing is being absorbed into my body there is no doubt that that is how it will be. I will obey and not get in the way.
May the Lord bless you and keep you, may the Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you, may the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace…so shall it be.
2 comments:
Okay, I feel stupid commenting on this too because I already commented on all the other recent ones.... But here goes (I am Rebecca, after all) an answer to your question.
Yes. And not just through this post.
You are a blessing to me and to everyone I know that knows you.-Daun
Post a Comment