Thursday, November 03, 2005

A Pup Named Scooby Doo was the only thing that would stop the crying

OH MY WORD, I have just been through the most gut wrenching doc’s appt ever. Jack woke up twice last night screaming that his ear hurt. SCREAMING! Now Olivia is all drama but Jack is pretty low key so his waking up screaming ow ow ow ow ow and pulling on his ear seemed to be a good indicator that something was wrong. So I got an 8:10 AM appointment, threw on some clothes and took Jack to the pediatrician’s office. Of course our first “doctor” was a med student. I am fine with that. I know they have to learn somehow. I am a willing participant of the process. The Med student is a little nervous, not the best with kids but he was trying. He gets my info and goes to check with the Real Doctor. Three minutes after he leaves, Jack throws up. Now Jack is only two but he knows when he is going to throw up so we got most of that in the trash can. The dilemma was – should I tell someone right away?? Will there be a worry about contamination? Should I just wait until the Doc comes back in?? These are the types of things that completely stymie me. I decide to tell a nurse. When she comes in I let her know that most of it went in the trash can. She hands me a puke bucket for Jack and some towels and that is the last we see of her. Finally the real Doc shows up with the Student and now the real Doc examines Jack. When he touches Jack’s ear, Jack winces. But he needs to look in the ear. I am fine with this. Long story short… I pin my kid down while the doctor tries to remove some wax from Jack’s ear, resulting in Jack’s ear bleeding. At first the doc just brushes it off. – the middle ear is dry and I may have irritated it a little so there might be a little blood. Blood was pouring out of Jack’s ear… To the extent that the Doc finally apologizes!! and I am just constantly thinking – why did I come, why did I come?? Why didn’t I just do what I normally do and wait a day to see what happens??? Jack is now traumatized, I am feeling faint from the sight of blood, the Doc is trying to talk to me over Jack’s screaming, the Med Student is standing in the back ground trying to blend into the wall, it was horrible. Diagnosis?? He MIGHT have an ear infection, we don’t know for sure because of the wax and now the blood but we really don’t treat those with antibiotics anymore, so give him Tylenol and if he isn’t better in a few days…if he says bring him back in, I just may lose it.. well I will give you a prescription for an antibiotic today and if he isn’t better in a few days you can get that filled. He also gave me a prescription for some ear drops that will numb his ear. Which if for no other reason, I will have to use just to try and get all the caked on blood out of Jack’s ear. I am very trusting of Doctors but this makes me feel like an idiot. I brought my kid here to make sure he was ok and the end result was trauma for Jack and I paid $15 for the pleasure of this service. My problem is I feel bad for everyone. I feel bad for the Doc who made Jack bleed, I feel bad for the Med Student because I think the Doctor went a little overboard to prove a point to the Med student (the med student was so scared of causing Jack pain, he barely touched him), I feel horrible for Jack for obvious reasons, I feel bad for my office because I had to call in sick to take Jack to the Doctor when now it seems as if I had just let things go we would all be in a better place. AAAHHHH!

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

If it is any comfort to you at all, I am sure that Jack will remember none of this.

(That reality is of Tremendous Comfort to me for the myriad offenses I have visited on my children)

But you did not visit an offense on Jack; you did the best thing you knew to do.

You Are A Wonderful Mother.

I mean it.

Anonymous said...

Beth, I hope Jack is all better now. I was home early reading this because Nicole is sick. I was the horrible mommy who said< "can you just stay a few more classes until I get through teaching and then we will go Home?" So the guilt goes on. Rebecca is right you have not damaged him. And I have to believe I have not damaged my poor, sick 11 year old.-Daun

Post a Comment