Monday, November 07, 2005

Olé!!

This weekend Miguel cut my hair. Normally I do not remember the name of the person who cuts my hair. I just walk into the place in the Mall and take whoever. Occasionally I try very hard to remember the name of the person who did cut my hair so I can go back to them but my head is filled with too many names so I usually forget. I will never forget Miguel. One reason is because my kids watch Maya and Miguel on PBS Kids so naturally that theme song went through my head ( It's Maya, (it's maya) and Miguel (miguel)What they will do next you never can tellIt's Maya, (it's maya) and Miguel (miguel)) when I was told that Miguel would cut my hair. But the real reason I will not forget Miguel is because he was the most entertaining hair stylist I have EVER had cut my hair.
Miguel is probably in his late 20’s, early 30’s. He did not speak very much – just the basics – what are we doing with your hair today?, would you like conditioner? Do you like it? Will you be interested in the products I used today? He wore black leather pants and a black shirt. And he had a rather large bump just below his bottom lip that I would bet good money on, came from a piercing. Miguel also wore a holster or tool belt for all his various scissors and combs.
Now here was the great thing about Miguel, as soon as I saw him the Maya and Miguel theme song was instantly replaced by cheesy, Latin cowboy music. Like something you would hear at a bull fight. I sit down. I can see Miguel behind me in the huge mirror in front of me and just as the music swells, Miguel lifts his hands above my head, pauses, then shakes his arms and with a flurry of activity begins to cut my hair. It truly was like some weird Latin cowboy/Edward Scissorhands moment. Then he stopped suddenly. Looked intently at my hair and without taking his eyes off my head, took a new cutting devise out of his holster, did the raised hand thing again, followed by the flurry of activity again. This was repeated several times. I was amazed at his skill in knowing just where on his tool belt the next scissors or comb would come from so he never had to take his eyes off my hair. And he could replace them in the belt as well without looking. It was as if he had a vision of what my haircut would be and could not take his eyes off the hair because the vision would be lost. It was very fasinating and intense. Soon it was time for the hair products. He reached into his cupboard of gels and mousse and pulled out two bottles and a jar. He looked at the products, contemplated my hair, ran his fingers through my hair and removed one bottle and replaced it with a different one. He then mixed two kinds of mousse, did the hand raising thing again followed by the flurry of activity and massaged the mousse into my hair. Oh my! My head has never felt so wonderful. This was followed by the Drying of the hair. Now here was the one flaw with this performance – Miguel did not carry the hair dryer on his tool belt. I understand why and yet it would have been a crowning moment. By the time he was done drying, my hair was so high and big that I thought – wow if only it was still the 80s, this would be great hair. Miguel then went for the gel. He showed me how he was just using a little dab of it. Then raised hands and flurry, he was twisting and pulling and smoothing down. Truly amazing. And occasionally a quick flick of his hand down to his hip, up to my head, a snip snip and then back down to the hip. And then it was over. Miguel asked me if I liked my hair and I wanted to say – who cares, I have just had the most fun I have ever had getting my hair cut! – but instead I just smiled and said – yes it is great.
I told one of the women I work with this story and now when ever she is about to start something new she yells my name, lifts her hands up, shakes them and then dives into her work

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Oh My Word! I have to go see Miguel! How wonderful! How amazing! I want to experience this.

And what a bummer-- I didn't end up spending time with you last night. Otherwise, I could have seen the hair on the very same day Miguel did it!!!

Lynne said...

Beth, I giggled my way through your whole post. You described Miguel so well... I could totally picture it! What fun.

Your blog is on my favorites now... Rebecca introduced me to it this weekend... looking forward to more fun reading!

Beth said...

Rebecca, yes bummer is right but don't worry I am sure you will get to see the hair(and me) soon. (remeber bookclub on the 15th!) and I plan to retell this story in person because it is even better with hand motions.

Lynne, Welcome to the blog. I am honored to have you reading it. But be warned I am a horrible speller. Mostly I spell things wrong and use bad grammer just so Rebecca can feel superior. :)

Lynne said...

I like your approach to Rebecca and the grammar thing!

Post a Comment