Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Happy Reformation Day!!!

Trick or Treat? I do feel sorry for the kids who do not grow up reformed and thus never have the delight of seeing some grown man don a brown robe and re-enact the nailing of the 95 theses to a church door, followed by enthusiastic singing of Luther's A Mighty Fortress is Our God. Ah memories...
I also remember trick or treating. Being scared to go to the neighbor who always stole our balls when they landed in his yard and who would pretend to not know who we were when my sister and I showed up at his door yelling trick or treat. Having to always sing THE Halloween song - This is the night of Halloween, when all the witches can be seen, some are fat and some are skinny, don't you think we've earned a penny? - at my Aunt Cookie's house.
I am hoping that my children will have fond memories of Halloween as well. Will they remember the neighbors taking photos of them with their digital cameras? Or one neighbor girl giving Olivia a big hug. Olivia being so concerned that we might forget to go to Stewart's house. Jack's sweet voice as he finally figured out he was suppose to yell Trick or Treat? The thrill of neighbors just handing over candy. I hope that they will remember. Perhaps all the Halloween candy we will be eating for the next four months will help.
Oh an my biggest surprise of the night was finding out that someone I talk to each day for work lives just down the block!! OH MY!

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

See? What a great thing it can be to get to know your neighbors!!!

Great posting!

I never knew the Halloween song and consequently never sang it. But only in the midwest would anyone be deceived into believing that "skinny" and "penny" rhyme.

We missed trick-or-treating with you guys, though.

Beth said...

Yes it is true. In the Midwest skinny and penny do rhyme and only someone from the EAST would be smug enough to say they don't...

Post a Comment