At my church, we have been doing a 6 week topical series (something we hardly EVER do) on repentance. It has been a very good series. So good I might actually pay the $1.00 per sermon tape fee and get the sermons to listen to over and over again. SOMETHING I HAVE NEVER DONE!
One point that our minister made (he actually got this point from Tim Keller from Redeemer PCA in New York) was that when we ask for forgiveness in prayer we often see Jesus as interceding for us in a kind of begging way. As in – Ok Father I know that she screwed up again but she has asked for forgiveness and we should probably give her the benefit of the doubt and extend her some mercy. When actually we should picture Jesus saying –The wrath that this sin deserves has already been taken out on Me. I already paid for this sin so Father you must extend mercy.
I am probably not getting the point across very well ( I am no RS when it comes to quoting) but what it pointed out to me is that once again I am not forgiven because I am a “good person” (something I do know very well but still like to pretend that I am). I am a wretched person but Christ has paid the price and I am given the ability to repent and move away from my sin so I can bring glory to Him. It is not a helpless cycle but something that can be and has been broken by Christ. (again something that I know but if just felt great to hear it)
I have mentioned before that the Presbyterians are very subdued emotionally but if the minister continues to make points that make me think – OH MY WORD THAT IS SO GREAT – THANK YOU JESUS! I just don’t know how long I can refrain from a verbal whoop and holler or at the very least just standing right up out of my seat with a Praise be! And really for those that know me, wouldn’t that just be a sight? (Hmm maybe God is calling me to loosen up the Presbyterians?)
1 comment:
Oh, Loosen! Loosen! Whoop AND holler! I want to, after reading this post. Praise Him praise Him praise Him.
"It is finished," He said, and He meant it.
Whoo-hoo!!!
Post a Comment