Wednesday, June 08, 2005

I can't wait to see the Hallmark Hall of Fame Movie

I can not BELIEVE that Faulkner has been reduced to an Oprah book. I should be happy. I love Faulkner and I should want the world to read it but I just don’t think that your regular Oprah reader is going to GET Faulkner. With Oprah it is always about the story and not really about the technique. And let me just admit that normally I shun Oprah books. (Although I did read The Good Earth – a book I had wanted to read for years – once Oprah picked it for her book club - mostly because it was every where. I couldn’t avoid it and everyone was talking about it. Ugh!) I scoff at best sellers. Yes I am a book snob and I just can’t believe that Faulkner will forever be known as that Oprah book guy.
Oh and they have taken three books and combined them into a series and given it the title – A SUMMER OF FAULKNER. The publishing world has sold it soul to the antichrist. I will say no more.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Yes! Unbelievable! Can you believe it? I had to read The Sound and the Fury with notes, just so I would know who was narrating now. I did. Me. What are these Oprah-women going to do with William Faulkner???

I had forgotten that we had decided Oprah was the anti-Christ. Well, this is just the sort of thing I had always suspected the anti-Christ would do.

Let's make a pact IMMEDIATELY that neither of us will read ANYTHING more by Faulkner this year.

(Yes, I am SUCH a snob. Oprah. Pfft.)

Post a Comment