Wednesday, April 13, 2005

How does an electrical shock sound???

Jack's newest word is “OK”. He uses this whenever you tell him not to do something or to stop doing something. Jack, don’t hit the window with the hammer! OK. He says it so sweetly that you just have to smile and say OK back to him.
His current passion is tools. He has toy tools and a toy tool box and he likes playing with those but he LOVES to get his hands on real tools as well and he spends at least half the day trying to divert my attention so he can sneak into the front closet and raid Eric’s tool box. I have found him wondering the house with a rubber mallet, a Phillips screwdriver, a socket wrench, a wire cutter and various sized screws and nails. Jack put down the deck screws! OK.
Last week Eric’s brother Mark and his family were visiting. One day while we were all home, Mark came into the kitchen to report that Jack had just fell to the floor after plugging in Eric’s drill and then rushing to the other side of the room to drill something. He fell because the cord was not long enough to reach to the other side of the room so Jack fell as the cord was being jerked out of the socket. Now this would be shocking to most people but this is not the first time Jack has tried to plug in and use the drill so it was just a – taking it in stride moment – for Eric and I. What I did find shocking was that while I thought this had all happened in the playroom upstairs (we are remodeling the attic into a playroom thus the drill is up there for screwing in drywall) it had actually happened in our downstairs living room. So Jack took the drill with drill bit and a screw, from the attic all the way downstairs, plugged it in and attempted to drill something in our living room. Now the good thing is that he doesn’t yet have enough strength in his had to make the drill work. Not enough strength YET!!! The bad things are so numerous I don’t think I can even list them but I would have to start with possible electrical shock and parental neglect, not to mention putting an eye out.

The thing is, when I was a kid I actually stuck a metal key into a socket and got zapped. I am fuzzy on the details of what all took place but I can still remember how the shock felt. To this day I hesitate whenever I plug something in knowing that the electricity is just waiting to jump out and get me. Now I don’t want to see Jack get zapped or harmed in any way but I would like him to learn a little bit about the concept of fear. So now whenever I catch Jack eyeing an electrical socket I make a ZZZZt noise. He thinks this is very funny and he smiles at me and says OK!
Obviously my ZZZting is not going to work so perhaps I can persuade all of you (all 6 or so of you) to do as Mark’s wife Carolina has decided to do. She has added Jack to her daily prayer list and prays for his safety (and I am sure she also prays for his parent’s awareness.)

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I think your ZZZZting is very funny, and I can only imagine hearing it. It does not seem to me that a noise as cute as that would serve as much of a deterrent to your Active Jack. But you seem to have survived the shock okay, so maybe he'll be all right. I'll pray for him anyway.... -rs

Anonymous said...

M & F R said ....
We are praying for Jack, too! Well, let's say we are praying for Jack's parents that they will be MORE AWARE OF DANGER!!!!!!!
Oh, my (our) word!

Post a Comment