One of Jack's presents for Christmas was a subscription to Lego Brickmaster. Every two months he receives a Brickmaster magazine in the mail along with an exclusive Lego model. When we gave it to him we were unsure that he would understand that it was the gift that would keep on giving... for at least 12 months. This past wednesday his first set arrived in the mail. He was thrilled.
Really for me?
Yes it is part of your Christmas present.
Are there other Christmas presents the will come to me in the mail?
Well you will receive more of this one every two months.
Really?
Yes.
On Thursday he rushed into the house.
Is there more mail for me?
No.
Why not?
It has only been one day. You don't get one each day but every two months.
So what day did I get it on?
Wednesday.
What day is today.
Thursday.
So I get them on Wednesdays?
No. You will get another one in March.
MARCH! OH MAN! That is not fair. I want one on Wednesday.
Well maybe it will come on a Wednesday but it will be a Wednesday in March.
Oh ok. He walks away despondent.
On Saturday he received his Brickmaster Magazine. He is enthralled and has it with him at all times. He pours over every page asking me again and again what each page says. He has Eric read the stories to him and help him with the puzzles. He muses over the pictures of Lego creations made by other little boys. He tells me how he wishes he had the two Indiana Jones sets featured in the middle spread because then he could make the cool model shown. When I tuck him into bed that night, he asks why there is no Star Wars lego in this magazine. I tell him the truth.. I don't know. He rattles off a long winding sentence the gist of which is that it should have Star Wars Lego in it.
This morning, when I awake, Jack is standing at my bedside in his blue camaflouge night pants and his oversized super man shirt.
Momma?
Yes Jack.
Can I just cut out the pictures that I want to keep from the magazine and throw the rest of it away?
Why do you want to throw it away?
Because it does not have any Star Wars in it.
Well can't you cut out the pictures and just keep the magazine too?
AW MAN! Why do I have to keep it?
Fine Jack cut out the pictures and throw away the magazine.
Do I have too?
Have to what?
Cut out the pictures and still keep the magazine?
No you can throw it away?
ALL OF IT!
No after you cut out the pictures.
So I have to keep the magazine after I cut out the pictures.
Jack, cut out the pictures and then throw away the magazine.
Really?
Yes.
And he did.
Ah yes, the gift that just keeps on gving.
3 comments:
This is really wonderful and I love it. Thank you for writing this down.
ha ha funny stuff! Thanks for the smiles. - Katie
Jack's reasoning has me laughing until tears come to my eyes. Really.
Post a Comment