This weekend we went to a Pirate birthday for our young friend Houston. Houston just turned three. During the festivities the children, who were all decked out in their pirate garb, gathered together to play a game. (This was after they walked the plank over a sea of hungry crocodiles. Oh MY!) To begin the game the kids were asked – what do all pirates want? Well imagine my surprise when I yelled out wenches and the actual answer turned out to be treasure… I looked over at Eric to say oops! But he just shrugged and said – Same thing.
OK this is not quite how this played out. When the question was asked I turned to Eric and softly asked - what is the word for slutty pirate women?
To which he replied in hushed tones - Sluts?
As I hit him on the shoulder he ducked and whispered Whores?
I paused to consider this but then shook my head.
No Wait! he said in a very excited whisper - Wenches!
-Yes! I whispered triumphantly- Wenches!
As I yelled my answer, I quickly discovered I was too late. The kids had already advanced to their first clue on the treasure hunt and all the adults just looked curiously at me wondering why I would yell WENCHES at a child’s party. (Well it could have been sluts people so just be grateful I took the time to figure out the correct word.) I turned to Eric to say - oops to late but we both agreed Treasure, Wenches … close enough.
And then I let out a deep sigh because sometimes it is difficult to be the only slow witted 40 year old at a 3 year olds party.
3 comments:
I can just picture the scene-too funny!
I would have laughed with you and helped you out with the word.
Wish we could have been there. How dare you people have fun without us!
You know who up North
Who is slow-witted? And even if the word took some time reaching your brain, the humorless adults are Far Worse.
Yes, it is Much Worse to be without humor than to be slow-witted.
Much Worse.
Post a Comment