Saturday, September 02, 2006

The one where she complains A LOT about technology

I have a love hate relationship with technology. I really do love most things technical. I like to read the instructions that come with my electronics. I love to know their ins and outs. However, it would seem that technology hates me. I offer up here just two brief... Hopefully brief examples.

Two Thursdays ago, I decided to make the mess of cords behind my computer neater. To do this I had to unplug most of the cords. I figure this would be no big deal. We occasionally loose power and this never seems to have an adverse affect on the computer so I figured disconnecting the computer from it's power source would be the equal of a power loss so no big deal. I nicely bound all the wires together, made them nice and tidy, I even found TWO that were no longer connected to anything, and then I plugged everything back into the computer and turned on the power cord. The computer came on but my wireless internet connection was gone. I spent every spare minute of my weekend trying to get it to work. The insane thing was that our laptop could still use the connection but the desk top, which hosts the connection could not. I finally lost the connection for the laptop as well. Finally on Monday I took the last resort and pushed a little button on the back of the router that is suppose to reset everything to when I first purchased the router. As I pushed the button, I had this odd sense of deja vue. When I went to set up the now "new" connection, everything worked as if I had never had the problem to begin with and I realized that this is EXACTLY what happened to me at the beginning of the year when I had tried to set up a wireless printer connection and lost my wireless internet connection and at the time I said - I should really write a note to myself that reminds me to just push this button when this happens again. (I am now doing that through this post!)

This weekend Olivia had her first sleepover at a friend from school's house. We have a cell phone that we don't really use - we pay by the minute that is how often we don't use it - but we gave this family the number just encase they need to reach us and we lugged the phone around with us. When Eric switched the phone on this morning we saw we had a message. I spent no less than 3 hours trying to retrieve the freaking msg. Apparently you can set up your voicemail to bypass your password but for some reason I thought this was not a good idea at the time I set up the VM so I had to enter a password. I TRIED EVERY NUMBER COMBINATION I COULD POSSIBLY THINK OF, over and over again. I finally went to the providers website and found out a way to bypass the password. I tried their instructions over and over and over again but that blasted lady just kept asking me for my blasted password!!! I finally gave up and called customer service where I was on hold for about 10 minutes. The CS rep decided the easiest thing would be to just reset my VM even though I would loss my message. I did not care. If the message had been an emergency they would have called again within the three hours and if I felt I needed to, I could just call them back. Great she reset my VM. Or that is what she told me. But when I dialed in at various times today the freaking lady still asked me for a password!! I walked away from the phone. And hours later, after Olivia was home safe in bed, I picked up the phone and dialed VM. I was asked for a password and I entered a number I had entered AT LEAST 15 times before this same day and behold it took my numbers and let me in. I listened to my two messages and then set up the phone to bypass the password.

I am pretty sure that when I press publish post below this entry this whole thing will just disappear.

No comments:

Post a Comment