This morning Jack sang three songs to me while I was helping him get dressed. First Good night Mommy because he did not want to be up and figured if he sang this song he could convince me it was night time. Then Happy Birthday but only the first line. I think he stopped when he realized it was not my birthday but that soon it would be Olivia’s birthday and the mere mention of the b word sends Olivia into an excited frenzy where she jumps up and down and goes over the various things that she will be doing for her B-day and then emphasizes that it is NOT Jack’s birthday that is coming up but HERS. So he quickly moved on to his favorite song, Johnny Cash’s Ring of Fire. Here is Jack’s interpretation of the lyrics – fell to burning ring of fire, down, down down, flame go hotter and it BURNS BURNS BURNS, ring of fire, ring of fire.- (He really belts out the Burns, burns, burns part.) The entire time he is singing he is giving me his – am I not adorable and very funny as well? – look.
I am greatly humored by this because this is so Jack. Jack – I will sing a song as long as it is my idea to sing it and no one else’s. Jack who stood at his Spring concert happy and expectant until the music began and caused him to immediately drop his hands to his side and glare at the other kids as if to say – hey they are trying to make us sing, quit your conformity and stop singing this INSTANT!! Occasionally he would scowl out at the crowd, knowing it was our fault that he was expected to sing, and sway and make movement with his HANDS! OH MY! He stood this way for the first two songs, smiling only once when ventured to take a step off the riser and then immediately hopped back up into his spot. This seemed to confirm his rebellious heart as he smirked at his singing classmates. (I’m not afraid of ‘em!)
And then for the final song, the children were handed sticks to beat to the time of the music. I did a slight gasp wondering if Jack would use them to hit the kid next to him, but instead he smiled and hit the sticks together. Oh good, all is well, he likes the beating sticks together part but then … yes you guessed it, they started the music. He dropped the sticks with a disappointed look – Man I was almost tricked! – and looked at his feet. But then Pickett intervened. (Mrs. Pickett is his preschool teacher but he just refers to her as Pickett… of course) She came up behind him, put the sticks in his hand and then held his hands with hers and they beat the sticks together and did the various motions to the music and Jack smiled. He even laughed and the last four or maybe only three beats he did on his own, then he skipped blissfully off the stage.
Jack do you want to sing Old MacDonald?
NO SINGING!
Then I hear quietly in the back – burns, burns, burns – ring of fire, ring of fire.
I can’t wait until he learns the words to Johnny’s Delia’s Gone.
1 comment:
OH, MY WORD! Jack, Jack, Jack! So cute and rebellious at the same time. We miss him dearly. But do keep up such postings, because they help us make up for missed times being there to see all this. Thanks for doing this, really!
Father R & Mother R
Post a Comment