Monday, April 17, 2006

On the Way Home From Church

Momma?
Yes Olivia?
Do you know Emily’s mom?
No, I don’t think I do.. wait yes I do know Emily’s mom.
She was helping out in my class this morning because we only had one teacher. Well one teacher and her husband and Emily’s mom. Emily’s mom was the one that brought me to the bathroom because I was crying.
Really? Why were you crying?
Because (and here Olivia’s normal voice turns into a barely audible whining noise) I did not get an egg.
A what?
An egg.
Why didn’t you get an egg?
Because there were not enough for everyone so they just gave them to some kids that aren’t even part of my class. (this is followed by hiccups of sobs)
Well, were you the only one that did not get an egg?
Silence
Olivia (just encase she has forgotten we are talking) were you the only one that did not get an egg?
Long pause followed by a sniffed – No.
Well how many kids got an egg?
I did not get one.
Yes, but you were not the only one right?
Sniff
Well I don’t think this should have caused you to cry.
But they gave some of the kids eggs!!
Yes but not all. Maybe you should have just been happy for the kids who got eggs.
I was happy for them. I was upset because I did not get one.
How many eggs were there?
There were three and they gave them to some new kids who aren’t normally even there.
Well, Olivia, if you were a new kid wouldn’t you want the teacher to do something extra nice for you so that you would feel comfortable in the room.
THEY WERE COMFORTABLE. I WAS THE ONE SCARED BECAUSE I DON’T LIKE NEW PEOPLE!!! I DID NOT GET AN EGG! (much induced sobbing)
Olivia, why would you be scared of new people in your class?? And why would you cry just because they got eggs? I think perhaps you cried because you just expected that you would get an egg and when that did not happen it made you upset.
NO!! IT JUST WASN’T FAIR!!! (this is followed by barely audible but indiscernible whining noises)
I go into a long spiel about selfishness and being nice to others and caring for others (being better than your mother…)
Momma?
Yes Olivia?
I forgot.
What?
I forgot that I did get an egg.
WHAT?!!!
I got an egg before with a spear in it. You know – (she make a stabbing motion at her side) all the blood and water came out.
I don’t understand what you are saying. You did get an egg and it had a spear in it?
YES!!! (as if I am daft)
I turn to Eric – I’ve got no idea what that means.
Eric asks – when you opened the egg up it had a spear in it to represent when they pierced Jesus’ side?
Like a resurrection egg? – I ask
YES!
So you cried because you did not get to open an egg but really you did you just forgot?
YES! I’m sorry.
SIGH!!! (why do I even try?)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for that wonderful story of life with Olivia. I needed a good chuckle.

Lynne said...

I am laughing and laughing... isn't it just so typical??!

Anonymous said...

I have to have the cutest cousins in the world!! Reading these entries puts a smile on my face every time. At least if we're not close in distance we can be close this way! Hi to everyone - Katie

Post a Comment