This morning Eric was sick so I brought the kids in to school. (do not fear he was able to rally and actually make it to school later in the day to teach his classes)
This was a very pleasant thing for me because normally I do not bring them to school. Eric is already heading there to teach so there seems to be no reason for me to tag along. But I do pick them up each day.
Well let me tell you, the difference between picking up and dropping off is AMAZING!!!
In the morning the sun filters through all the school windows to light up the school in a blaze of glory. This alone was totally different from when I pick them up in the afternoon because at that time the hallway lights are all off and the curtains drawn in the classrooms to help the children settle down during nap time.
In the morning everything is spic and span clean causing things to be oh so shiny and bright. No little shoes have dragged in all the dirt and grass from outside as well as little hands brining in every flower and weed to give to their teachers and mothers (and the occasional father). The smell is clean and crisp because it has not been permeated by the sweat of 50 or more super active 2-6 year olds. The Teachers are bright and cheery. (The teachers are also bright and cheery at the end of the day but there is a twinge of that boy am I glad it is the end of the day feel – the same attitude I have at the end of every work day) The children are sitting quietly at their little desks with eager faces waiting for the day to start. At the end of the day the children are sitting on the floor playing games together waiting for their name to be called for car lines. There is a feeling of contented disarray as children, coats and backpacks cover the floors. There is a joyful feeling that flows through the school in the morning. It is still there at the end of the day but it is slightly trodden upon.
We were also slightly late this morning. (I know but it was a crazy morning.) I believe we missed the National Anthem but we did catch the scripture of the day as recited by the second grade class. Amazingly sweet.
So this was a nice interruption to my day. I was glad to have it. Maybe I will start tagging along on a regular basis.
1 comment:
This is a wonderful post Beth. It makes G & G want to get in the car and take those darling children to school tomorrow morning so we can expierence the joy of seeing the excitement that two grandchildren have when they enter school. Or is it the joy that mother gets when she enters their school. Whatever, we wish we were there so we could share the thrill.
M & F Rice
Post a Comment