Today is Jack’s birthday. Three years ago today we checked into Duke Hospital and around 10:00 AM I was induced. At 11:48 PM Jack was born. When we first arrived at the hospital and were making small talk with the nurses and the doctor, we mentioned that it would be nice if Jack were born on February 21st because then we would have birthdays in succession. 2/21(jack), 3/22(me), 4/23(eric) and 5/24(olivia).
The doctor we had in the morning said – hey that is cool I think we can make that happen. When the second Doctor came on later in the day he said – Ok you have just had about 3 hours of contractions in one hour and we need to slow you down. We then explained the secession of birthdays and he said -hmm Ok well I think we can slow you down and still make this happen. It was after 11:00 PM when I was told that I could start to push. I mentioned how we were cutting it close and how I would probably miss having him on the 21st by just a few minutes and the Doctor replied – Oh we are having this baby today. - He is right there and we are getting him out- and after a few pushes (it took a few more then expected because my contractions were too short so by the count of 5 the contraction would already be over and my pushing was for naught so once I figured that out I started pushing a little earlier to go with the momentum - I know - to much info but I was very proud of myself for figuring this out because at the time it was very frustrating) Jack, wonderful, adorable baby Jack made his exit out of my body (much to my great joy and relief) and his entrance into the world. And he made it with 11 minutes to spare! This morning Jack was greeted in his bed by his sister giving him birthday hugs and kisses. She then presented him with her Winnie the Pooh bear wrapped up in a blanket and said – Here Jack open your present! This whole time Jack kept insisting that it was not his birthday – NO BIRTHDAY!! And we would reply – YES BIRTHDAY!! Eric then asked Jack how old he was and Jack replied by saying Zjok. No, that is your name – Jack, but how old you are is THREE! Finally he replied Zjok Free! And we all clapped and cheered for him. Jack then grabbed Winnie the Pooh and headed to the kitchen for breakfast smiling and I think swaggering just a bit. I then grabbed him and told him – Yes you are three Jack and that is as big as you can get, you must stay three and not continue to grow like you sister and Jack nodded and agreed to stay three. And I believe he will … at least for the next 12 months.
2 comments:
Happy Birthday, Sweetest Three-Year-Old Boy!!! We're so glad you came!!!
Jack was already confused when we celebrated his third birthday early! No wonder he says NO BIRTHDAY!!! You confuse him! Or is it that he confuses us? Hope you enjoyed all your third birthdays, Zjok (that's short for zee jock or THE JOCK!).
F&M R
Post a Comment