Saturday, January 28, 2006

You say its your Birthday

Today is my sister Renae’s b-day. She was my mother’s fifth child, however she was the first girl in our family. And not to take anything away from my brothers but I think meeting my sister was probably one of my father’s happiest moments. Why do I say this? No one has ever told me this. There may have been hints at his being thrilled to have a baby girl. There may have been stories of his actually going out shopping and buying his new baby girl her first dress and bringing it with him to the hospital. But I am not sure if these are correct memories or not. What I do know is that out of all his children, Renae is the only child that was giving a nick name by my father. He called her Lu-Lu. Sometimes he would just break into song – Lu Lu skip to my Lu, Skip to my Lu my darling – and sometimes he would say that the Lu was for Lucifer. I don’t know where the nick name came from but I like to imagine that in the midst of little boy chaos, sometimes when my father came home from work he would pick up his little baby girl and rock her in a chair and sing the song to her.
Happy Birthday Renae. I love you and hope you have a great Birthday. And just so you know, I celebrated it my cleaning out my fridge and scrubbing my kitchen floor.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the memories and the birthday wishes. I love my nickname. Good job on cleaning the frige and scrubbing the floor I did only one chore and that was grocery shopping in the rain though so it felt like more than one chore.

Rebecca said...

A beautiful tribute to your sister and father both. Thanks for this.

Post a Comment