Sunday, December 11, 2005

Up down, left right, big little, opposites!

My children are very different. (Obviously one is a girl and one is a boy.!) Olivia conquered her language skills at a very early age. Jack conquered climbing to unbelievable heights at an early age. Olivia has always been a big talker. She craves attention. Jack is very quiet and wants attention sparingly. Olivia loves making things. Jack likes taking things apart.
On Thursday, we went to the kids’ school program. Jack only sang a word or two but he did all the motions. And he was the first kid off the stage as soon as his songs were done. Olivia not only did all the motions (with gusto) she sang all the words, even the words for the soloists. Olivia LOVED being on stage and hated for it to end.
On Saturday they made identical ornaments at a Happy Birthday Jesus party at church. Olivia could not wait to show us the ornament and was very excited about getting to put it on our tree. I found Jack in the hallway, ripping his apart and trying to get each piece down to it original state.
On Saturday afternoon, Jack came and sat by me on the couch while we watched a video and he did something I just love. He sat up straight with his hands folded in his lap, his legs crossed at the ankle, his eyes concentrated on the screen and he had a little smile on his face. Just calm, quiet and adorable.
On Friday night some friends watched our kids while we went to a party for work. When we picked them up they had been asleep for an hour or so. In the car on the way home, Olivia just talked non-stop. But not the same way she talks during the day. This was like a dream state talking where she was just getting out everything that she encountered that day. I can’t explain it but I just love when she does this. She amused me the whole ride home. Below are some pics of them at the Christmas program. They both acted completely opposite of the other and were both adorable. Well at least to me.

2 comments:

tworivers said...

I love this post about your children, and all your recent photos! What a bunch of cuties, I must say.

and I have to ask - do you pronounce it Tar-Get or Tar-Jay (the genteel French way)?!

Beth said...

Yes the Tar-Jay thing. When I was in Middle School all of my friends called it Tar-Jay but I have always called it Target. And now just to rub it in to my friends back home in the midwest who are stuck with their one Target store, I say - SUPER TARGET! or GREATLAND TARGET! and I have convinced Olivia that if she could scale the outside wall at Super Target and push the center of the red target sign she would be reward with a deep and loud BULLSEYE sound!!

Post a Comment