Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Big, Small, High, Low, Wet, Dry, Cold,Hot

We made it through day one. The outlook last night was not good. Eric had thought that childcare for teachers kids lasted through Monday but for some obscure reason it ended on Friday. So the kids spent the day running back and forth between Eric’s and our friend Daun’s classrooms/trailers with Daun’s two older girls. Then the kids were whisked off to Aunt Rebecca’s house to play and eat while Eric and I were at the school’s mandatory Open House/Registration finalization meeting. This meeting went far longer than I thought it would. Thus Rebecca had the kids longer than I had intended. And did I mention I was STARVING?? Truly the food I had eaten that day could be contained on a very small plate. Rebecca graciously fed me her spaghetti when I showed up to pick up the kids – Finally! This resulted in my hunger being fed and in our leaving even later. Olivia threw a major tantrum when we left. (a tantrum that was so horrible that when compared to Jack’s sheer joy at getting to go home to something he is used to that in looking back it was just hilarious. Trust me it would have made a great moment in some sit-com) She threw a tantrum in car. She was punished when we got home which led to more crying, crying and crying. And then out of no where she was suddenly scared about going to school. That morning she was singing – SINGING that Summer vacation was over and school was starting and now – I don’t want to go. UGH.
We all got to bed way too late and woke up way too early. Miraculously Olivia woke up in a great mood. She even said – Mommy I’m not grumpy anymore!!! But Jack, Jack was sad, sad, sad. He just constantly cried about every thing. I will post their- first day of school- picture tomorrow and you will be able to see just how miserable he was.
Finally we all arrived at school – On TIME- and Jack was fine! He had no problem leaving us behind once he saw all the toys. And Olivia did not even look back as she said good bye when entering her room with her teacher.
When I picked them up this afternoon they both had had a great day. Jack’s teacher said Jack did not say a word all day but he was very cooperative and laid back. Olivia also had a great day. They talked about opposites today in school and so all afternoon I would say a word and she would say the opposite. When I said green, she paused and said –What is the opposite of green? I said that there really wasn’t an opposite of green. Hours later we were driving somewhere and she yelled out RED! Red is the opposite of green because green is go and red is stop. Oh my word that is GREAT, I said. She then asked what is the opposite of yellow?. I said that yellow meant slow down so the opposite would be sped up and that there was not a color for that but we could just decide that blue meant that and then blue would be the opposite of yellow and she said Ok Mom.
So we have made it through day one. We are all still very tired. Very Very Tired. So I am heading off to be. Hopefully we wake up on time tomorrow and not ruin our – on time – streak after just one day.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I think blue most definitely means speed up because blue is my favorite color.

Anonymous said...

No, everyone knows purple is opposite yellow on the color wheel.

Post a Comment