Sunday, July 31, 2005

Its not so bad

We went to Chicago. First for Katie’s wedding and then to celebrate our 15th Wedding Anniversary. Chicago was not our first choice. My first choice was an island somewhere with warm blue water. Ahhh. And then we thought no we will go to Europe, perhaps London or Paris or Florence. And then it was a trip out West. Montana or Colorado, Wyoming or Arizona. And then we found out that we would be going to Chicago for the wedding so hmm why not Chicago. Eric’s parents can come and get the kids; we can just hang out downtown. It will be easy and familiar. I was not thrilled but it would be fine. Really it would. And can I just say – OH MY WORD CHICAGO IS GREAT!!! I can’t believe I ever doubted it. I recommend that everyone visit it – NOW. Here are some highlights –
New Millennium Park – Ok I could digress into a comparison of this new park and the old Grant park, which was – THE park in Chicago when I was growing up - which would reveal the good and the bad of such a big city but I will save that for a later time. What I will say is that this is a beautiful park. I would have loved to seen a concert in the park but the photo exhibit – Chicago Revealed – was a good fill in for not getting to see a concert. We did literally walk barefoot through the park. The grass was too lush to refuse such a walk. And our second trip to the park was spent delighting in the huge tower waterfalls in the middle of the park. We enjoyed cooling off and watching all the kids cool off in the water.
Navy Pier – Navy Pier is actually great to do with kids but it is also enjoyable for the great view of Lake Michigan and the city. Our favorite part of the visit to Navy Pier – beside the great view and no we did not have a camera – was seeing Charlie and the Chocolate Factory at the IMAX Theater. I LOVED this movie. I have not laughed so hard at a movie since I don’t know when. MUMBLER!!!
The Food – Chicago dogs, Chicago deep dish pizza and eating huge quantities of meat at Smith and Wollensky. The last was a treat with our friends from Chicago. So not only was it great food, eaten outside in great weather on the banks of the Chicago river, it was also great conversation.
The City – It is beautiful, it is clean, it is friendly and oh so Midwestern. Which is familiar having grown up in the Midwest and yet odd having lived in the South for so much of my adult life. The Midwest is friendly but they express this by leaving you alone and giving you your space. Physical personal space is very important in the Midwest. I think the most telling aspect of this is that all – ok almost all – of the park benches are divided into individual sitting spaces. Thus there is no confusion over what is YOUR space and what belongs to your neighbor.
I of course have not done the city justice. If I were RS I would paint you a beautiful picture with words but I am not RS so you are left with my commentary. But I do have actual pics to show that will help show you Chicago. Two of the pics are two new paintings and one new artist that I fell in love with at the Art Institute of Chicago Museum. Green Mountains, Canada by Georgia O’Keeffe. I have always liked her landscapes and this one was just amazing to me. The texture was amazing and the color just unbelievable. The second was a painting of a barn, I believe it is called American Landscape and it is by Charles Sheeler. A new artist for me. This painting was right next to Grant Wood’s American Gothic. I really like Wood’s landscapes but I am not thrilled by American Gothic. So I was thrilled to find this piece next to Wood’s. I know it is just a Barn but it is beautiful. And apparently even though I hate descriptions of landscape in most fiction, I obviously am drawn to it in paintings.
OK too much info for most of you. Sorry it is not more poetic.

No comments:

Post a Comment