Thursday, June 16, 2005

Goldie May he/she rest in peace

Yes, Goldie died. She (I have no idea if it was a he or she so I am going with she) died on a Tuesday. Just nine days after G&G Rice gave her to Olivia for her birthday. Just two days after her first bowl cleaning. (yes I think the bowl cleaning did her in. Most likely because Eric cleaned the bowl and he has spic and span issues) She floated dead in the bowl for about a day because neither Eric nor I wanted to be the one to break the news to Olivia that Goldie was not actually sleeping. We especially did not want to break the news to her without the other one at home. But then RS and her kids were coming to visit and surely her boys would figure out the fish was not sleeping and share this news. So that morning we told Olivia the fish was dead. She was more upset about the idea of flushing the fish than of its actually being dead. -But why would we flush it? Then she would be wet. I think it would be better if you just took it out and let me hold it. - yeah so you could put it down somewhere and Jack could gnaw on it. Olivia's second response was - does this mean I can get the hamster now? Uh no. If we can't keep a fish alive we can not graduate to a hamster. She then greeted RS and children shouting - My fish is dead! My fish is dead!
And now we have Sunshine. Sunshine is a heartier looking fish so we think our chances are good of keeping this one alive for longer than 9 days. I would say at least a month but I don't want to get cocky. (or graduate to a hamster)

No comments:

Post a Comment