Monday, March 14, 2005

Ah Glorious

I cleaned my fridge on Saturday. I had attempted to do this in January after we had cleaned out the holiday leftovers, but I only had time to do a quick cleaning. This time we were very low on food so I could easily take all food items out of the fridge and then remove the guts of my fridge. I vigorously cleaned the inside and all the guts while watching the Duke/NC State game. (Isn’t it great that we can remove all the shelves in our fridges and rearrange them?) When I put the whole thing back together it was beautiful. Almost like having a new fridge. I could actually see through the glass shelves again and by reworking the line up of my shelves I actually created more room. Adding to this euphoria was getting to shop at Super Target for groceries to place into my immaculate fridge. Ah glorious. (I must admit that I ran out of time and thus was not able to clean out the freezer section of the fridge but really one must save some fun for another time or I might become spoiled and come to depend on having the time to clean my fridge whenever I please.)
Another wonderful thing that happened today was the library called. It was an automated message and my mind quickly raced to the two books I have checked out and wondered if I had missed their due date. But I hadn’t. Instead a book that was recommended by my parents-in-law and I had requested from the library is in and waiting for me to pick it up. I love having new books to read. Ah glorious!
And then another thing happened. I took the laundry I had neglected to do all weekend (hmmm maybe that is why I had time for the fridge) and brought it down into the basement, AKA the laundry room. I knew there was some laundry in the washing machine because I had washed jeans on Friday and on Saturday Eric had gone to put them in the dryer but they were still wet so he turned on the spin cycle. I reached in to take out the jeans and they were still very wet. Curious. I thought Eric had put them through another spin. Oh well I will just to that now. Oh no I won’t because the agitator (a very apt name) no longer agitates. Or maybe the tub no longer spins. Or both because when I turned on the spin cycle the machine made a spinning noise but when I looked under the lid nothing was spinning. Ah UGH.
Of course the first thought is, wow there goes that tax refund money I was going to use to pay off the carpet bill. And the second thought was, wow I haven’t been to a Laundromat in years. And the third thought was, the steps to the basement can’t support the moving in of a new washer and a moving out of the old washer. And the fourth thought was – the Appliance Doctor! The Appliance Doctor fixed our stove when it stopped working and it only cost about $50.00 and has worked wonderfully for another 6 years (at least). Perhaps he can work the same magic with the washing machine? Ah Glorious. (He was rather old. Let’s pray he is still in business.)

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Thank you for this posting. You know, there is Nothing like Clean. I love Clean. And Neat. It's good for the soul.

And you can't beat a clean refrigerator. I love being able to see through the shelves, and having everything organized, and all the leftovers gone, or neatly sealed in tidy containers. I love that. It makes me think I might stand a chance at being a good cook.

Post a Comment