This is how every week day morning begins at my house:
Eric closes the door on his way out of the house.
Moments later I hear the pitter patter of little feet on the hallway floor.
Then they stop momentarily until I hear the pitter patter of a little bit larger but still little feet.
Now the first feet start up again and I hear the closing of my children's bedroom door as my door suddenly bursts open with Jack entering the room followed closely by Olivia.
Jack stays to the right of the bed and climbs up on the side closest to me. Olivia veers off to the left and climbs up on what is traditionally Eric's side of the bed.
Olivia giggles the whole time.
Jack is very serious until I smile at him and then he turns his head away from me and giggles.
My response varies depending on how much more sleep I am wishing I could have.
Sometimes I will keep my eyes shut and hope that they will just lie down in the bed and go to sleep. This has never happened but I refuse to give up hope.
Usually I open one eye and smile at Jack as he pulls on my arm for leverage while climbing up into the bed. Then I close my eyes until Jack, now up in the bed and under the covers, starts patting my arm to get me awake.
Then I will sit up and Olivia will tell me if she has had any dreams the previous night and if the dreams were scary or nice. Sometimes she will say in amazement - I didn't have ANY dreams.
I respond that that just can not be. And she will say Well I did not have any but Julie (her big floppy doll) did, or Pinkie (her small pink poodle) did or Share bear (her purple care bear) did and she will tell me their dreams.
Meanwhile Jack, who just can't be still so early in the morning, is climbing up on the potty and fingering all the things he knows he is not suppose to take down. Things like powder, deodorant, toothpaste and his favorite my foundation make up with mirror. Or if the bathroom door is shut he is swinging on the treadmill bar. The treadmill that I keep telling myself I am going to get up early and use.....
I really do enjoy this bursting into the room. I would just enjoy it more if it could come at least a half hour later.
2 comments:
Oh, perfect! I can just see Jack doing exactly that: turning his head away and grinning. Sweet, sweet boy. And I love Olivia's animal's dreams.... I often think about certain aspects of parenting that drive me crazy, and how even those I will miss. One of these is helping put long-sleeved, long-legged pajamas on slightly damp bodies. Ugh! But someday I'll miss that.
Of course, this morning-walking is exceptionally precious, and I know you are enjoying it now, too. Funny how your posting is titled "walk walk walk" and you have an un-used treadmill in the bedroom....
hmmm yes. Well hopefully the treadmill will start getting used again this week. I will update you if this happens.
This morning the children followed their normal routine but then they left the room and played in their own room, while I rested for a few more minutes and my thought was - oh no I have ruined the routine by commenting on it on the blog, and then I thought - well at least I have documented it, and I rested a little longer. I am sure it was a fluke and all will be back to normal tomorrow... unless I get up early to use the treadmill!
Post a Comment