We went camping. Yes it is July and yes we do live in NC. No we did not go camping at the beach or in the mountains. We went about 20 minutes from our house. Why? Because somehow each summer I either have no vacation time or it is eaten up by vacations to go see our families. So this summer I had one day and Eric wanted to go camping.
I am a bad vacationer. I love the idea of vacation but I am also skeptical that I will enjoy myself. But I am trying to be better.
Eric is a good vacationer and is convinced it will be a great time.
After our first night of camping, I rated the vacation a 6. Eric rated it a 3. A THREE!!! The kids rated it a 10. (scale 1 being the most horrible ever, 10 the greatest ever)
In the afternoon the kids swan in the lake and they also fished with Eric. When we finally convinced Jack to come out of the water he asked - Are we going home now?
Well we are going back to the tent.
NO!!!! IT is time to go home and watch movies and play games!
Eric nicely explained that we would be staying one more night but that in the morning we would be going home. Olivia fell to the ground with a scream as if she had been mortally wounded.
Oh my word, what is wrong honey?
YOU PROMISED WE WOULD CAMP FOR THREE DAYS!!!
And so Eric and I went into damage control trying to convince Jack he wanted to stay one more night and explaining to Olivia that we never promised three days we said, Thursday night, Friday and Saturday morning and that is what she was getting. Emotions were high but we were able to calm both of them with a warm shower at the camp bath house.
We had a great camp fire and a nice night at the campground followed by chocolate chip pancakes in the morning.
Today Rebecca called to see if we survived. I told her yes we had a nice time. And then she said but you won't do it again. Ya pretty much. I think instead we will just invest 60 bucks in one of those outdoor deck fire pits so we can have a huge open flame at home because really the best thing about camping is the fire.
(camp just as a family that is. We are always up for group camping. Even if I did spend the last time throwing up the whole last night)
Um Jack, You got a little something on your lip there.
Happiness is... eating s'mores in your swim suit
Lake fun
More lake fun. Look closer. There is a fish on the end of that line.
1 comment:
Well, I'm glad to hear that you haven't completely bailed on going camping, because I think it would be Really Fun for our families to camp together.
Of course, we'd be perfectly happy, too, to sit around the fire pit in your yard....
You guys are Great Parents, Beth.
Post a Comment