Friday, June 08, 2007

She is Seven

Her eyes are a pale blue grey
When she is overjoyed they twinkle
When she is upset they burn holes
Mostly she is happy and they are blue grey

Her hair is blondish brown or perhaps
Brownish blonde. She perceives it as blonde and
So we agree. Blonde. Really it is blonde.
I was the same way when I was her age.
Blonde, My hair is blonde not brown

She is like me in another way as well.
Ok in many other ways but in one significant way
She is always rushing forward.
She can not wait to let things happen to her
She wants to rush forward to meet them
In the fourth grade I sat on my bed
Eyes squeezed shut wishing, hoping praying,
Please when I open my eyes let me 18.
Please, PLEase PLEASE
Peek
Ok how about 8th grade?
Peek
Seventh?
Peek
Fine
Fourth, whatever (sigh)

She asks me
When will I be able to drive?
When will I be able to stay up late?
When will I graduate from High School?
When will I
When will I
When will I

If I could convince her of anything
It would be to slow down
To enjoy her age
To not rush forward
Time will quicken on its own
There is no need to rush forward to meet it.

2 comments:

Lynne said...

Truer words were never spoken!

Anonymous said...

What a great post. How I wish I could write as well as you do Beth. When is that children's book coming out that you are going to write? Remember all those things you were going to do now that you are 40? Wasn't writing a children's book one of those? You should do it. You write so descriptive. Keep it up.

G. & G. Rice

Post a Comment