Monday, December 18, 2006

Hodgepodge: AKA blitz blog (or is is blog blitz?)

I meant to have it ready by Sunday. Heck I meant to have it ready last week. But Saturday morning it hit me. BAM! I have not made the candy yet. I bought boxes and ribbon and paper for this candy back before Thanksgiving and was so happy with myself for looking ahead and being prepared. I even bought nice wooden tags for my children to color. I was SO on top of it! All I had to do was make the candy and there we would have it – nice presents for teachers and helpers; just a little something to say thanks.
And then time flew by and I forgot to make the candy. I was determined to try and still get it in before Church on Sunday so the first round could go to the Sunday School teachers. But Saturday night I was exhausted and I thought – what am I doing? Why I am killing myself to get this done? And so I did not do it. See I am not a perfectionist. I am ok with my regular failures. I have the chocolate made and this afternoon after school the kids and I will make the candy together and we will make up the gifts for the teachers and helpers at school. And it will be more about us doing it together for others, which was the original intent and I will mark on my new 2007 calendar to make sure we get something to the Sunday school teachers at the end of the year.

Last night was Luminary night in our neighborhood and some of the surrounding neighborhoods. We were on our way home from Borders when we remembered and so we drove through the streets looking at the lights along the sidewalks and the decorations on the houses. Eric and I made comments to the kids about different houses and then Olivia turned from torturing her brother and looked at the lights and said – Are those candles in those bags? Because I think that is dangerous. The bags could start on fire and light up the lawn and then the house could burn down. Please tell me that we will never have that candle in a bag thing at our house. - This is what happens when your children are taught to stop drop and roll. I can sympathize with her. I do understand the fear. Why would we take the time to teach her what to do in an emergency such as a fire or tornado if it is not a skill she is going to have to use at sometime? And so in response I say – Hey look at that big Pooh Bear they have on their porch – and the car turns to make its way back home.

I overheard this conversation at Target recently. It took place between several 9-10 year old boys. This is a conversation that can only take place in the South.

Look at this! My kid wants thermal underwear. What six year old wants underwear for Christmas?
Well my kid wants a toboggan. What in the world is that?
It is a sled.
Oh ok, lets go to the sleds.
It’s not a sled stupid. It is a hat.
No its not! It is a sled. Who would want a hat?
Ok this one wants underwear and you are wondering why a hat?
I don’t know but I would rather be disappointed with asking for a hat and getting a sled then asking for a sled and getting a hat.
Why? It’s not like you would ever get to use a sled. We don’t get snow. (note it was 70 degrees on this day)
Well he is not GOING to be disappointed because a toboggan is a hat and that is what we are getting him.
Where is the underwear in this store?

Where is your adult supervisor?


A conversation around the dinner table:
Olivia what are you going to get Jack for Christmas?
MOM! He is sitting RIGHT THERE!
Oh of course. Sorry.
Jack what are you going to get Olivia?
Um, …. A Star Wars book!
I think you want a Star Wars book Jack.
Um, Princess Leia. A Princess Leia book!
Ah yes Princess Leia. Quick thinking.

And our big news for the weekend: Olivia went bowling at a friend’s birthday party and not only did she get a Strike! She also scored 100!

And thus ends the weekend and begins our week. A week where I plan to:
Make candy
Get through all 26 of the advent alphabet
Go on a date
Have the Vlaars over for talk and treats
Do last minute shopping
Wrap presents
Clean house
Go skating
Go see the musical light display in Hillsborough
Relax and not feel rushed

I feel resignation to failure coming on. (But I do have all that extra time now because of Dream dinners so who knows?)

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I Absolutely Need people like you in my life.

Thank you, Beth, for Being.

p.s. the conversation about the toboggan is Too Much. Thanks for all of this.

Jennifer said...

HILARIOUS! For the record (just in case anyone out there needs clarification) as any good Northerner knows, a toboggan is a sled.Reading that dialogue took me back to a conversation I had with a 4th grader my first winter in NC. We each thought the other person was completely crazy.

Post a Comment