Monday, June 20, 2005

This is what happens when you don't agree on a paint color before going to pick up the paint

Over the past year, Eric and I (and Eric’s dad) have been gradually turning our attic into a playroom for Jack and O. In the past month things have accelerated pretty quickly and this weekend we were ready to paint the primed ceiling and walls. Now Eric and I like color. And we always agree on the color to paint a room. It really is kind of odd how one of us can say – I thought we should paint the hallway green – and the other will say – I was thinking the same thing. So it was shocking Friday when we went to pick out a color for the playroom and we came up with very opposite colors. I wanted a very light purple for the walls and ceiling and a darker deeper purple for the trim. Earlier in the week Eric had a revelation that we should paint the room a light red. Light red. I asked? Isn’t that pink?? Well yes but not a pink pink really instead a red pink, a light red! Ok. Eric picked the darkest pink color I have ever seen and wanted an even darker color for the trim. Have I mentioned that the room had one very small window and currently one bare light bulb for light?? Not to mention we were painting one whole side wall black in chalkboard paint?? Was Eric CRAZY??? I really tried to convince him we had to lighted up the color. He would say things to me like he wanted to go red white and blue with the room – which I was ok with but he kept showing me these horrible pink/red colors. Very adult colors. Not kid colors. Did I mention that we had our kids along on this trip and they were running amuck in the paint section throwing paint chips every where and trying to break the color matching computer thing? And there was also a loud discussion happening at the paint mixing counter between and employee and a customer over the mixing of a color? I finally went for a pink tiger paint chip which Eric agreed with and then he took the kids elsewhere while I found a dark color to match for the trim. I picked a deep garnet. Eric liked this combo and I left with Jack to get some groceries while Eric and O got the paint and other supplies.
On Saturday, while painting the walls, I noted that we were painting our walls the exact color of Pepto-Bismol. Eric chuckled and said it looked more like a color you would find in Florida. I said – Eric you realize that everyone will make fun of this color?? This is a color that when you move into a house you say – what were they thinking when they painted this room?? Eric said – well at some point this will be Olivia’s room (really I did not know this) so she likes pink and now we won’t have to paint it again. OK but it is still the worst shade of pink EVER. Especially with the deep garnet trim. I mean WHAT WERE WE THINKING.
Saturday night Eric comes down after turning the fans off upstairs and says – wow the room is a little overwhelming. What do you mean I ask? Well it is just so dark. REALLY?? So now we will most likely paint the ceiling a lighter color and most likely non of the little boys we know will play in the room no matter how many trucks and trains we put in there.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

This is a blog-feast! So many pictures, so many postings! Score! Thank you for this!

I would comment on everything, and maybe I will tomorrow, but I Have To Go To Bed Now.

Meanwhile, I know I haven't seen it in person yet, but I love the paint. Love it. Love it. And I'm pretty sure my boys will play in there, especially if they can play with Uncle Eric's Really Cool Trucks.

tworivers said...

Boys will play in there. After all, people of the male persuasion take Pepto Bismol, right? No problems - everyone will love it.

A bigger light bulb might be nice ...

(And I echo Rebecca - thanks for the wealth of postings!)

Anonymous said...

Yikes! Oh my word! What were you thinking (or were you thinking)? Our only fear is that, even with the door closed, the colors will overwhelm us while sleeping in the guest bedroom next door. Perhaps you could erect a FIREWALL between the two rooms!

G & G R

Post a Comment