Last weekend while waiting for the RS kids to show up, Olivia made bug soup. See once my kids get something in their heads it does not easily leave. I am not sure where the concept of making soup for the bugs came. I am not sure why she is so insistent that the bugs need soup. I do know that her interest in bugs started when her cousins visited. One of them has a bug collection and she was very interested in this idea. In fact she had some beetle that her uncle caught for her drying out in her bug catcher for quite some time. The idea was to actually keep the bug alive but it died, I threw it’s corpse into the yard, Olivia mourned and then yesterday she found the bug again, now hard as a rock and she put it back in the catcher to officially start her own bug collection. Since it was already dead, upon finding it she yelled - oh look it is already pinned so we don’t have to do anything to it. (as in killing it with rubbing alcohol and pinning it to a piece of Styrofoam.)
Below are some photos of last week’s batch of bug soup. She really wanted to be brave and find some bugs to feed the soup to but in the end when Eric finally helped her look under a rock all that was there was a slug. Apparently bug soup is too good to be wasted on slugs so they left the slug under the rock. I suggested we throw some salt on it and Eric just rolled his eyes.
No comments:
Post a Comment