Thursday, April 28, 2005
I WOULD RATHER BE SLEEPING
I was dreaming of blue water and sandy beaches, of hot sun and solitude when I was suddenly transported back to the real world by the following sound – MOMMA JACK JACK HE TURNED ON THE LIGHT AND I DON’T LIKE ITTTTTTT. - It was the whining screaming sound of Olivia, who had been transported out of her blissful sleep at 7:03 AM by Jack turning on the ceiling light located close to her head.(she sleeps on the upper bunk) Ugh. I dragged my not yet awake body, past Jack who was bounding into my room with a bright cheery smile and a high pitch HELLO!, to the light switch in Olivia’s room. Once there I was able to stop her whining scream and stumble back to bed where I hoped to get at least 5 more minutes to rest my body before it had to truly wake up for the day. It is hard to believe that my 38 year old brain could have been so naïve. I was able to get back into bed, followed by Jack who immediately pointed to the TV and said Kiyou (Calliou for the PBS savvy) which of course means please turn on the TV so I can watch PBS kids. I was feeling around in the bed for the remote when Olivia yelled from her room – ONE MORE DAY AND IT IS MY BIRTHDAY RIGHT?? What?? No I said, you have four more weeks until your birthday. OOOOHHHH BUT MOMMA YOU SAID THAT ON MONDAY AND IT HAS BEEN 4 WEEKS SINCE THEN. I thought - Oh my WORD can I not just get a minute more sleep?? Where is Eric!!! It is bloody only 7:00 AM he can’t have left yet!!! - I started to explain at 7:00 AM!!! The difference between a day and a week and then Eric showed up to explain it. Wonderful, albeit slow, Eric! I left it to him and settled back into bed trying to decide if my body was now awake enough to move out of the bed. Soon Olivia joined me in the bed and told me that I should have told her weeks not days… I simply said – let’s just mark it on the calendar and that way you can see it. OK Momma. And with that she warmed up her freezing feet on my oh so warm legs. Ah and that was the final jolt my body and mind needed. Once her feet were warm I got out of bed and officially started my day.
No comments:
Post a Comment