Saturday, February 19, 2005

Hockey Player Jack

I have found out recently that a large number of people – mostly men but not all – are easily freaked out about seeing a little boy put on little girl pretend dress me up dresses and accessories. But these same people are not freaked out to see a little girl dressed up in army clothes or cowboy clothes wielding a weapon of some sort. Now I know they would say but women are in the army and there is such a thing as a cowgirl and I would counter with what about togas and kilts and men from the middle east and pirates with puffy shirts and ear rings?
Jack regularly dresses up in Olivia’s pretend clothes because he is only almost 2 and he gets to play with the big kids when he does it and nothing else pleases him more than playing with the big kids. He also regularly carries a pink purse out of the house when he goes out. This is because everyone in our family carries some sort of bag when they leave in the morning and Olivia’s pink purses easily fit this category for him. To leave the house one needs socks, shoes, coat and bag. Again many people would think his manhood is in question because of the pink bag and I would say – he is just almost two and far from doing anything that may affect his manhood.
But I am getting a little tired of the looks and raised eyebrows so for Jack’s birthday we will most likely be buying him little boy dress up clothes – a fireman outfit or an astronaut or if Eric wins out – and he usually does – a cowboy hat and guns. But what I want is a hockey outfit mostly because Jack could really use a helmet to protect his head when climbing, and falling and smashing things and because he looks so darn cute in hockey gear.

No comments:

Post a Comment