Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Sarah Laughed

I recently dug up a children’s Bible that I had packed away from my days at Schuler Books. I think that is how I got it but now that I have written that I think maybe I got it from my Calvin bookstore days. Hmmm or maybe my mom gave it to me. Ok I have no idea where it came from but it was packed away and I did unpack it.
We have been reading through it with Olivia after supper. Last night was the story of how Sarah laughed when the visitors told Abraham that she would bear him a child. Olivia wanted to know why Sarah laughed. I told her that Sarah was very old and that people when they are older usually don’t have children. I said – wouldn’t it be a little funny if Grandma had a baby? No she replied. I suggested that perhaps she should ask Grandma if she wouldn’t like to have a baby the next time she sees her. Eric rolled his eyes at me. Then this morning Olivia asked again – why did that woman laugh about having a baby. Again I said that Sarah was very old and she just thought the idea of having a baby when she was so old was silly. Olivia replied – but you were old when you had Jack. No you were old when you had me as a baby and then later you had Jack and you were still old.
I just smiled and nodded. What else could I do? I mean really I can’t remember where I got the book from. Do I have any argument against her statement?

No comments:

Post a Comment