So when you live in NC and are constantly threatened by hurricanes, snow/ice storms and severe thunderstorms you tend to build up a repertoire of survival stories. So today at work when things got a little slow we started talking about the hurricane that they keep implying is going to slam into Florida but we all know that the more they say it will be Florida the more sure we become that the hurricane is going to slam into our coast. So we were just chatting and I told them the story about the tornado we survived in Fulton when I was maybe 8 years old. Now I am posting this story here to see if any of my brothers will respond and correct my memories. Here is what I remember. It had rained, Renae Tammy and I were outside helping/watching dad dig up some dirt by the old garage. Now I think he was digging a garden - maybe to plant some tomatoes but he could of been hunting for fishing worms. So he is digging away and he pulls up this huge white grub worm. It was disgusting! The next thing I know Dad says something like - I thought it seemed a little too calm after that storm and he made us go in the house. The next thing I remember is being pushed down the basement steps by mom and Tammy and I nearly toppling over each other to the bottom from mom's push. Renae I think stayed up with dad for a while watching out the windows until mom made her come downstairs. None of my brothers where at home when the tornado began. I don't remember being scared. I just remember it being different and kind of cool that we were all down in the basement - this was not a finished basement and it was not a crawl space either is was just a large cement basement with a couple of rooms. I was also somewhat excited about the pending doom my brothers were all facing because they were in unknown places and not in the safety of our basement. I think Tim and Mike made it home first. They burst into the basement and told us their story of their ride home from the tastee freeze( - this would have been like 3 minutes from our house by car. I think they may have been in Uncle Whitey's old Ford which was build like a tank but I am not sure.) The story was a great one of having to dodge falling and fallen trees. I was amazed they made it home and that they had been so brave and cavalier about it. Todd was on his way to a baseball game and had actually seen the funnel cloud. He was returned to the house shortly after dad had gone back up to the main level of the house and announced that the storm had passed and we could come up. But we still had no idea where Matt was. I don't remember exactly when Matt made it home. I do remember mom kicking us out of the house after we laughed at her attempt to use the vacuum to clean up a broken window that was caused by a flying shingle from a neighbors roof. We went for a walk to view the damage. All 6 of us. We did not get more than two blocks when the cops stopped us and sent us home because it was too dangerous to be out walking around with all the down electrical wires. When Matt did make it home he had the best story of anyone. He had been on the Cunningham's - Was that really their name?- back porch. It must have been three season porch because he spent the entire time of the tornado pushing on the windows in the porch so they wouldn't blow in and break. My mother was horrified that this was what he had been doing. Again I thought it was cool and he got to see the wind whip things around the Cunningham's back yard. Tammy and I were reduced to re - enacted mom pushing us down the stairs and almost killing us. I have no recollection of how long we were with out power. The flash lights and candles were new and different. Usually whenever we played with a flashlight we would be yelled at to stop playing with it before we wore out the batteries. Thank goodness for that otherwise the flashlights would have been dead when we needed them - ok someone probably had to run out anyway and get more batteries but again I don't remember that. The last thing I remember is having a tornado scare again late in the night and my parents deciding that it was not a tornado but that all the kids should sleep on the main floor just in case. This was a bummer for me because I already slept on the main floor so while everyone else got to sleep in the living room in sleeping bags I had to sleep in the bed in my room.
Too long I know and most of you probably did not make it through the whole thing. Don't worry I'll never know.
3 comments:
Here's what's funny about this for me: I thought that the white grub your dad found in the garden was some kind of indicator for him that a tornado was coming. You know: some people get achy knees before it's about to rain, and you can tell a storm is coming when the wind blows and you see the undersides of the leaves. I though that maybe a white grub surfacing was some Native American/Fulton/Mid-west sign.... But I guess that was a misapprehension on my part, right? -rs
RS I am AMAZED that you made it that far through my post.!! Until I was about 15 I too thought that the sight of a white grub meant run for cover but then my dad explained that when he picked up the grub he also noticed the threatening dark sky and that was his tip off - not the grub. But just to be on the safe side I wouldn't go looking for white grubs.
Yes, well, despite the reasonable explanation for your father's noticing the pending storm, I will from now on be terrified of white grubs. Heretofore I was only afraid of insects that move quickly, for the obvious reason that one never knows when said insect will be "on" one, so to speak. But now I will always associate the grub with the tornado. Always. :) -rs
Post a Comment