So Eric and Olivia were suppose to go camping this weekend with a bunch of couples from our church and their children. Well we were all suppose to go originally but then my gall bladder removal came about and thus I opted out. I mean my word I already lift Jack daily and am probably killing my back - camping would just result in numerous temptations to over exert myself. So I packed every thing but Eric's bag and the trunk. Olivia and Eric left at 4:50. Eric was back at 4:52 to get the directions to the campsite and then they were finally off. It should have been about a 2 hour trip max. As Eric neared Winston Salem he decided to take business 40 instead of the interstate. Normally this would be faster but currently there is construction and as soon as he got on the road he was parked on the roadway. Eric did have a map and he found what he thought was an alternate route but was not positive so he stayed on the road and kept being optimistic about the traffic clearing up any minute. About an hour later it finally did. Then just as soon as they started to go faster Olivia threw up. They were suppose to eat when they arrived at the campsite but once Eric decided that they would not make it on time he stopped to get gas and get out some chips and juice for Olivia. Olivia is the queen of getting car sick and thus she got sick from the traffic and the chips. Eric pulled off the road and cleaned O up and then got back in the car and continued on . Now at this point he is mad at himself for taking this alternate route and mad that he just keeps getting later and later for the arrival at the campsite. He is finally on the road that has the exit to the camp ground (Hanging Rock) but he can't find the exit. The directions he has says it is 9 miles up the road. He goes 10 and no exit. He turns around. No exit. He comes back. Olivia says she has to go to the potty. Miracles of miracles Eric stops to ask directions and let O go potty. As he opens the car door to let Olivia out of the car she throws up again. This time it is projectile vomit and Eric almost starts to cry.
He brings her into the bathroom. Cleans her off as best as he can. Does not ask directions but consults his map and see that Hanging Rock is at least 15 or so miles down the road not 9! He cleans out the car, they get back in and they drive to Hanging Rock. Of course it is dark now and the park gate is closed. He has no way to get a hold of the other campers and he would have to walk about 3 miles in to the campsite. He tells Olivia they will go get something to eat and decide what to do. The first place they pull into with an open sign promptly switches off the open sign as they turn into the parking lot. They travel on. As they travel down the road, Olivia asks what they are going to do. Eric says he is not sure and then O says I have a great idea, lets go home and pretend the house is a tent and we can just go camping there. And that is what they did. (they did stop first and completely clean up Olivia and change her clothes - thank goodness I bought wipes and packed paper towels for them!! and then ate.) Then they came home, scared the crap out of me walking into the house around 11:45 PM just as I was going to bed. Eric's take on the whole trip is that it is the farthest he has ever driven to eat at a Hardees.
Thus the pics below show how we camped at home this weekend.
4 comments:
It is true. And if I had been there in the car I would have been able to prevent it.!!! But don't tell Eric I said that. My favorite though is when Kerrie threw up in the Calvin Chapel. Nice, very nice.
This is just about the saddest, sweetest, saddest story I have ever heard. Kudos to Eric for persevering; Kudos to O for incredible versatility (for a three-year-old). The pictures are great!
(the camping wasn't any good, anyway, I'm sure) -rs
Although daddy should be commended for persevering (like a male), Olivia is the star of the story with her brilliant solution. Amazing how children turn out more intelligent than their parents (and we are including ourselves here). Now be sure to feed Olivia very well when we drive her out to the pumpkin patch in October. A deal? Oh, to be safe, send along wipes and paper towels. We might get sick instead. Just kidding. Looking forward to seeing ya'll.
Hi, Beth! I'll lurk on your blog the way you do on mine. I see that you have a certain anonymous rs commenter, too. *wink*
Too bad about the camping -- I love camping! But congratulations to Olivia for coming up with the best solution. I love Eric's comment about the Hardees!
Post a Comment